Sunday, September 14, 2008

The depth of our online connections

I remember when MySpace and Facebook first become popular there were media reports of the negativities of forming "friendships" online. It was suggested that these friendships were somehow less authentic, less powerful, than friendships formed "in real life" (irl).

I've always disagreed with that notion - I have connected with people from all over the world online and some of those have become incredibly close friends who have shared intimately the ups and downs of my life. But I always struggled to express that - it's not something openly spoken about in our society and there still seems to be the "nerd" stigma associated with forming online friendships. And because of my own hesitation to confess my secret method of forming friendships I was never able to explain what I find so captivating about the social networking potential of the net.

Recently I stumbled upon this video on YouTube.

It says it all really, doesn't it?

No comments: