Thursday, January 1, 2009

Starting with the End in Mind

The Symbol of Victory


Image: B Tal, "The Symbol of Victory", at flickr.com

How would I like 2009 to finish? I find that question really hard, as I've talked about before I am a terrible goal setter and long term planner (and for me 12 months is long term), but I suppose it's time I pushed that little comfort zone and made an effort to at least try.

So some of the things I would like to do in 2009:
  1. Broaden my use of ICT in the classroom - my pedagogical licence portfolio got the criticism that I rely too much on our department's Blackboard. This year I will be looking at my options to enhance that space with others as well. Luckily, my PLN has some great people from my department included to help me bounce ideas off, source suitable sites and talk out the policies. Netvibes looks promising, and jogtheweb and I'd like to figure out a way to use Diigo or Delicious and work within our policy.
  2. Work to support more staff to use ICTs more in their classrooms and encourage them to collate their portfolios for the department's Smart Classroom framework. I can't recall exactly who (I'll need to go back and rewatch), but someone in the OZ/NZ Educator meetup a couple of weeks ago was telling us about some tags of web2.0 tools they'd put together and used as part of a professional development programme they ran with their staff - so staff walked out with something to jog their memory, and as they collected more of them their toolbox was obvious. This is something I would like to try with my staff this year.
  3. Update (and keep it that way) my digital portfolio. I have still to write up the middle school drama project, the middle school podcast project and cyberdrama project...hmm. That's going to take a while.
  4. Continue to participate in and build on my PLN through Twitter, Classroom20, Skype, etc. I learn so much from the blogs I read and the conversations I have - they are a vital source of professional (and personal) development for me. As an extension of that, I want to continue to hone and develop my blog and blogging skills. Where my PLN is a place of inspiration, my blog is my place to reflect and think out loud.

There are other things I'd like to do this year, of course:

  • Remember to choose my attitude
  • Be in the moment
  • Have fun, and smile more
  • Stay organised
  • Work through the Project 365! challenge of taking a photo every day for a whole year
  • Spend more time outside
  • Read more
  • Knit more
  • Play more

Bring on 2009 - it's going to be one full on year!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are admirable goals. Good luck achieving them. I appreciate my online network and am honoured to include you in it

All the best with your goals and a happy 2009.

Unknown said...

Nic,

Admirable goals. Where do you find the time!! I can only dream of achieving so much. I like the idea of Project 365, and even though I'm starting a day late it could be fun "personal" thing to do.

I am inspired by your PLN setup, I often reflect that I don't connect as much as I should. The OZ/NZ teachers meetups are raved about by lots, but I've nerver joined in. Time to change I guess.

Good luck with the goals, we're lucky to have dedicated teachers such as yourself.