Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Day 2

I'm currently sitting in Gloira Jeans Coffee in the CBD of Melbourne and the broadband is FREE (unlike at home where I have to pay for it). My reliance on the internet has been highlighted while on this trip and I have mixed feelings about it - I'm considering a "detox" week over Christmas, I believe it may be necessary.

Anyway, yesterday was a very interesting day with a lot of information to process and contextualise. Today promises to be just as good, perhaps even more so as after the talk of a national curriculum yesterday and with Stephen Heppell keynoting. I'm very interested to hear his take on things.

One of the first blog entries to catch my eye this morning was Derek's, entitled "Measuring 21st Century Skills", shairng his take on the new NZ government's push for basics in education. Some bells started ringing as I noticed similarities between what he was talking about the sorts of things being said at this conference. My big question about it - are we moving towards Education 2.0 or 3.0? And which of these will serve us best? Should we take the baby steps or a giant leap forward?

No comments: