Saturday, March 13, 2010

Finding Motivation

I'll be honest and admit I've lots a bit of my drive this year - 2008 and 2009 were such intense years for me as I pushed the boundaries in my classrooms, settled into a new (intense) school and found my feet as a curriculum leader. Maybe 2010 is going to be a "slow" year, maybe I need it to be.

I've been feeling a tad guilty about that thought, especially as I seem to be slowly watching the group of teachers who had started to work with greater collaboration and transparency return to operating "solo". That's been hard to come to terms with and I'm feeling frustrated and tired of what feels like a never ending (impossible) fight.

As my energy levels have been drained fighting the feeling of uselessness I've been struggling to find a happy place with my own teaching - I'm afraid I've fallen into some bad habits and I'm not seeing enough "21st Century Teaching" in my classroom (well, not from my perspective anyway).

I was working through my Google Reader the other day when I came across a post by Shane Mason where he shared a presentation he had made to staff at his school about 21st Century Education. It's a fabulous presentation and did much to jog my memory, inspire me to take a deep breath and just get on with it - what people around me do really doesn't matter, what matters is how I best prepare my students.

I would highly recommend checking out Shane's post, 21st Century Education. Thanks for sharing, Shane.

No comments: